A piece of fresh ginger approx. 40-50mm, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground red chilli (more or less depending on preference)
1 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp plain yoghurt
chicken breast (or thighs if you prefer), cut into chunks (about 2.5mm cube) to go on skewers.
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped into sections for threading on the skewer
2 medium tomatoes, chopped into quarters for threading on the skewer
1 medium red pepper (capsicum) chopped into sections for threading on the skewer
4 tablespoon butter
Step 1: Make the marinade.
1. Place the garlic, ginger, coriander, chilli, black pepper, plain yoghurt and tomato puree in a (small) blender.
2. Blend to a paste (add a small amount of water if necessary)
3. Coat the chicken and place in a refrigerator for at least two hours, or overnight
Step 2: Make and grill the skewers
4. Chop the onion, tomato and red (capsicum) pepper, into chunks that will go on the skewer. (If preferred, the vegetables may be added to the marinade depending on whether you prefer vegetables 'fresh' or 'spiced').
5. Thread the chicken onto the skewers, alternating with chunks of onion, tomato or capsicum.
6. Brush with butter, then grill (broil) until chicken is cooked through and is golden brown.
If preferred you can pan fry the marinated chicken in the butter, turning frequently to ensure browned all round and cooked through. Then, either thread the skewers as above and place under a grill for a few minutes to singe the vegetables or place the chicken skewers on a heated iron dish and splash a few drops of water on it to get a sizzling effect, add the vegetables, previously lightly fried in a separate pan. Serve immediately with the chutney or dressing of your choice. chutney. Add naan bread, rice or noodles to make a more substantial meal.