250g Bramley or other cooking apples, peeled and cored, (finely dice 80g and rough dice the rest)
75g unsalted butter
0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
0.5 tsp ground allspice
0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
150g rolled oats
120g plain flour
1. Gently cook the rough chopped apples in a small pan with a tablespoon of water until mushy.
2. Pulp the cooled apple in a blender or by mashing.
3. Melt the butter in a pan, whisk in the apple sauce with an egg and add the bicarbonate of soda (it will be frothy)
4. Mix the flour, oats and spices in a seperate bowl.
5. Add the dry mixture to the apple sauce then add the small pieces of apple. Then refrigerate for 1–2 hours until cold.
6. Heat oven to 190C (170C fan; gas 5). Scoop small balls of dough onto a greasproof-paper-lined tray and bake for 20–22 minutes.