750g diced pork leg (or shouder)
1 large onion diced
3 sticks celery sliced (1 cm)
1 garlic clove chopped finely
1 red chilli chopped finely (optional)
3 tbsp olive oil (or sunflower if preferred)
2 tbsp plain flour
1tsp ground cinanamon
1tsp ground mace
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground corriander
1tsp dried thyme
0.5 tsp paprika
Pinch of ground black pepper
100g soft dates chopped
100g soft appricots chopped
Juice and zest of 1 orange
250ml white wine
25g chopped walnuts
1. Preheat te oven to 170C. Finely chop the onions, slice up the garlic very thinly, de-seed and chop the chilli, slice the celery and toss the pork in seasoned flour.
2. Heat the butter and oil together in a large deep frying pan and gently fry the onions until they start to brown. (If you don't have a large deep pan fry the pork in batches first and transfer to an ovenproof casserole then cook the remaining ingredients as below.)
3. Add the pork and stir-fry until until starting to brown.
4. Add the chilli and garlic and continue to stir-fry for three minutes.
5. Stir all the remaining ingredients except the walnuts and bring to the boil.
6. Transfer everything to an ovenproof casserole then cook for 2 hours until the pork is tender.
7. Dry fry the walnut pieces and scatter over the casserole prior to serving.