1 large onion roughly chopped,
1kg carrots, sliced about1 cm thick
1 litres reduced-salt vegetable stock
Ground black pepper (to taste)
Pith, juice and any remaining flesh of one large orange
100g (low-fat) single cream
Optional: Chopped fresh corriander to garnish
1. Melt the butter in a large (heavy-based) saucepan and fry the onions for 3-4 minutes until starting to soften but not brown.
2. Add the carrots and stir fry for ten minutes.
3. Add the stock and black pepper, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
4. Use a hand (stick) blender to purée the mixture until fairly smooth (some chunks are fine for a little texture).
5. Stir in the cream.
6. Serve immediately,with a slice of granary, multigrain or wholemeal bread. Sprinkle on the chopped corriander, if used.