1 large cooking apple
1 large onion chopped
2 tsp sunflower oil
0.25 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
0.5 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger
0.25 tsp ground cinnamon
750ml chicken stock (or low-salt vegetable stock if preferred)
1 tbsp plain yogurt per bowl for garnish (optional)
1. Roughly chop the carrots, apple and onion
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy pan and fry the onion with all the spices for 2–3 minutes stirring to avoid any sticking.
3. Add the apple and carrot and continue to stir fry the mixture for about 10 minutes so that all ingredients are coated with the spice mixture.
4. Add the stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Blenderise the contents of the pan until smooth
6. Serve with a spoonful of yogurt artfully place for decorative garnish