1 large onion,
500g carrots (about 8 large carrots)
1.2 litres reduced-salt vegetable stock
100g lower-fat soft cheese
1 pinch of ground black pepper or cayenne pepper
1. Roughly chop the carrots and onion
2. Put onions and carrots into a large saucepan, add the stock.
3. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
4. Use a blender or food processor to purée the mixture until smooth.
5. Add half the soft cheese and blend again until the cheese is completely mixed in.
6. Gently reheat the soup, then ladle into dishes, topping each with some of the remaining cheese and a pinch of black pepper or cayenne. Serve with a slice of granary, multigrain or wholemeal bread.
NOTE: Butternut squash or sweet potato could be used as an alternative to the carrots.