1 lemon grass stalk chopped
25mm fresh ginger root chopped (or 0.5tsp ground ginger)
2 kaffir/dried lime leaves chopped
4 spring onions chopped
1 or 2 fresh chillies deseeded and chopped (green or red to taste)
2 tsp gound corriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 garlic clove chopped
500g boneless chicken breast or thighs
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 crushed garlic clove
1 finely sliced lemongrass stalk
100ml chicken stock
2 tsp fish sauce
200ml canned coconut milk (or 15og creamed coconut)
1 tsp smooth peanut butter (optional). Alternatively, add some chopped roasted peanuts at the point of serving for those who want them
2 kaffir/dried lime leaves chopped (optional)
3 tbsp chopped fresh corriander (optional)
1. Cut the skinned chicken into chunks about 30mm cubes
2. Place all the curry paste ingredients in a blender with a tablespoon of water and process to a smooth paste.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep heavy based frying pan and gently fry the garlic until it starts to brown but do not burn it.
4. Add the curry past and stir fry for a minute.
5. Add the chicken, stir round to coat with the paste and continue to stir fry for 10 minutes.
6. Add the finely chopped lemongrass and continue to stir fry for 5 minutes
7. Add the stock, coconut milk, fish sauce and peanut butter (if used), turn down the heat, cover and simmer for 15–20 minutes. If it starts to dry out add a little more stock or water.
8. Serve with the lime leaves and/or corriander garnish.