2 spring onions
0.25 red pepper
3 chestnut mushrooms
1 red chilli
10mm fresh root ginger (or 0.25 tsp ground ginger)
Pinch of ground black pepper
1tsp olive oil
1 pitta bread
25g cheese (of choice) sliced thinly
1. Slice the onions and mushrooms, chop the red pepper and finely de-seed and chop the chilli, thinly slice the ginger.
2. Heat the butter and oil together in a frying pan and gently fry the vegetables, chilli, ginger and pepper.
3. Meanwhile heat the pitta bread in a toaster for about 30seconds (it should have expanded a little).
4. Cut open the pitta bread along one edge and
5. Tip all the fried ingredients into the pitta bread opening and then add the sliced cheese on top.
6. Microwave the pitta bread sandwich for 25–30 seconds to melt the cheese filling.
7. Serve and eat.
There are many variants on this according to taste and available ingredients. For example, use green or yellow pepper, add chopped garlic, use sliced shallots instead of spring onion (brown onion could substitute but the taste tends to be stronger). Use more or less mushrooms, decrease or leave out the chilli or increase the amount. Add some other spices as well as or instead of the ginger, such as a pinch of ground coriander or garam masala. Cheddar cheese works well as does stilton, choose the cheese that best suits your taste.
You can convert it from a vegetarian snack by adding in some ham, salami, chorizo or any processed meat of choice.